AirThings 2900 Wave Smart Radon Detector
Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher, ABC
Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Hardwired, Apple HomeKit-enabled
You will agree with me that fires can be very dangerous and catastrophic. Think of the injuries, the losses or in other circumstances, the death of loved ones or yourself….. nobody would like to be in this extremely unfortunate circumstance. However, all of this can be mitigated by use of wireless smoke detectors.
Here is an alarming statistic summary from the national fire protection association (NFPA).
That is why we have taken our time to explore the most useful devices that should help you and your family escape or deal with the real dangers of fire. Nobody really knows when unwanted fires will happen but it is very important that we have a way of monitoring and raising an alarm when they do. I cannot emphasis enough the importance of a fire alarm or smoke detector!!
Since this is an emergency situation, we want to have the most sensitive and most accurate device that can guarantee your safety in your home or any other premises you may choose to install. We recommend using the wireless smoke detectors to give you that protection.
We understand that your home is the greatest investment and therefore should be protected by the best smoke alarm technologies. Further, the level of your fire alarm technology can influence such things as insurance costs (we are not insurance experts or advisers and we prefer that you contact your insurance agent or adviser).
First, wireless smoke and carbon monoxide alarm is an essential home gadget to keep your whole family and yourself safe from fire hazards with many advantages. The wireless type does not require you to run cables or drill holes and therefore you can preserve the beauty of your home. This is the main advantage of having wireless smoke detectors.
Secondly, placement of smoke detectors is made very flexible as long as the wireless signal is strong enough. You can therefore change the location of your “portable CO detector” as often as you wish. If you need further help on where to install carbon monoxide detector you may click on this link.
The third but not least advantage of wireless smoke detectors is that they can be easily interconnected to form an integrated alarm system in the home. Research has shown that over 90% of homes have got only one smoke detector/alarm. Ideally, it is recommended that each room has at least a smoke alarm. Now, this is where the capability and flexibility of wireless smoke detectors comes in handy, because you can interconnect all your alarm system at home easily and this ensures maximum protection from fire hazards. When one alarm detects smoke or carbon monoxide gas, all wireless smoke detectors go off.
This is the best choice of connecting your detached rooms e.g. a garage, workshop or store to your existing smoke alarms with no wires at all.
Most types of smoke detectors use a similar principle to carry out their function. The following YouTube video describes further.
Best Wireless Smoke Detectors Reviewed
There are several types of safety devices that can help you ensure early detection of smoke or carbon monoxide gas.
In addition, we have included some carbon monoxide detectors as well. We shall not only be analyzing smoke detectors but carbon monoxide detectors as well. In most cases, when there is a fire, the probability of having carbon monoxide is very high as well.
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly toxic gas produced when substances burn with insufficient air. It is more dangerous since it is odorless (has no smell), colorless, tasteless and hence cannot be detected by human senses, hence earning the name silent killer. This gas has been known to cause a lot of fatalities in residential and commercial buildings. In fact, it is the leading cause of death related to accidental poisoning.
How is it Harmful?
Carbon monoxide is very harmful when inhaled because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain and other vital organs of the body the much needed oxygen. Large amounts of CO can overcome a person in minutes without warning—causing them to lose consciousness and suffocate eventually leading to death.
Through many years of experience, we have settled on the following wireless smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors due to their reliability and ease of use. Some of these devices have both combination of smoke and co detector giving you two times protection from one device.
Definitive Wireless Smoke Detectors Comparison
- Wireless technology uses radio frequency to transmit and receive messages
- The red LED flashes every 10 seconds to indicate that the unit is working correctly. This is important since you are only protected as long as the unit is working correctly.
- Battery power enables homeowners to install interconnected smoke alarms without rewiring. Uses 3 AA batteries.
- Smart touch button quickly and temporarily silences nuisance alarms. For example, you know the cause of the alarm to be smoke from your toaster, you can temporarily disable the sensor for up to 8 minutes and clear the air.
- Wireless alarm can be installed in a detached workshop or shed
- Kidde wireless smoke alarms meet UL requirements and hence you can be guaranteed of their quality
- It sounds a brief chirp approximately two times in a minute to warn you of low batteries. You must replace the batteries within 7 days before the wireless smoke detectors become non functional.
This type of alarm is very suitable to replace your existing non connected battery operated alarms.
If fire was to breakout in one of your rooms e.g. the basement and you were sleeping in a different room (maybe on the first floor), these interconnected smoke alarms is designed and configured to raise an alarm when one of them detects smoke.
Hence, though the fire is in a different room, all the wireless smoke detectors will sound and you won’t lose valuable time in case of a fire emergence. You would have some lead time to escape before the fire reaches your room.
The other good news is that, if you would like to provide your own power to the wireless smoke detector and let the battery act as a back up, then this type will be the best choice for you.
At a cost of 50 dollars, this alarm system comes with the following features include:
- Hardwire, interconnected wireless smoke alarm with battery backup
- Uses photoelectric sensing technology which is environmentally friendlier unlike ionization technology.
- Low battery warning; simple to use silence/test button; pullout battery drawer
- Add additional battery operated First Alert ONELINK alarms to expand without wires
- Power Source: 120-volt AC mains power with 2 AA battery backup
This type is most ideal for kitchen areas since its technology allows it not to confuse false alarms with real fire dangers. Furthermore, it can detect those slow fires and in addition has a bright light to help in case of an emergence escape. It is also very suitable to replace your existing non connected hard wired alarms.
You can then integrate your wireless smoke detector and it is compatible with a variety of many systems. This integration requires some configuration and a bit of programming and there are pretty of you tube videos that can help you do this easily and quickly.
It is very tolerant to false triggers of alarm and hence ensures that the alarm goes off for real fires.
It is based on photoelectric sensing technology and therefore suitable for fast flaming fires.
First Alert wireless smoke detectors allow you to interconnect up to 18 alarms. The anti theft lock is an additional mechanism to allow you extended services from your product. The installation is made easy so that you can DIY (do it yourself). There is an instructional DVD for most first alert smoke alarms.
- Uses photoelectric-sensing technology that is very good at eliminating nuisance alarms especially from cooking smoke and shower steam.
- Simple-to-use silence/test button
- Low-battery warning and convenient pullout battery drawer so you do not have to remove your alarm from where you have installed it just to replace batteries.
- Includes two AA batteries and comes with a 10-year warranty. This covers the full life cycle of the product.
The wireless network is based on mesh network topology that is more reliable.
This smoke detector offers you two form of protection all in one device. As discussed earlier, carbon monoxide is lethal. The product has 5 years limited warranty. The following features ensure value for money.
- Onelink Wireless Technology
- Photoelectric sensing technology and electrochemical sensor for Carbon Monoxide
- The VOICE can easily be programmed. There are 11 pre-programmed choices that you can choose from. The voice will announce even the type of hazard and location. This is a very cool feature for an interconnected network since despite where you are you will be warned where the hazard is.
- By adding Onelink battery operated alarms elsewhere, when one alarm sounds in either series of alarms, all alarms will be notified.
Remember that smoke alarms need to be replaced after a number of years. Some models after 10 years, others 5 years. (Kindly liaise with your fire safety advisory body and read your fire alarm manual carefully to determine when your next replacement is due). It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a functional and working smoke alarm. If you are currently using a smoke alarm that is not wireless, you still have a chance to migrate to wireless smoke detectors and enjoy all the above advantages.